Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy birthday, Kyla and Lucas!!!!

Welcome to the world, little ones!!!!

Lucas on left, Kyla on right

Kyla Rose was born 6/8/09 at 10:59 am, weighing 6 lbs, 2 oz and was 19.5"!
Lucas Grey was born 6/8/09 at 11:04 am, weighing 6 lbs, 13 oz and was 20.5"!



Well I'll write as much as I recall. It seems I've forgotten bits and pieces here and there and some things are coming back as others remind me of things that happened. I also didn't get very many pics on my camera, but Niki promised to email me the ones she has just as soon as she gets a chance. :)

Last belly pic, taken 6/8/09 at 36 weeks, 4 days


I know the nurse checked me again Monday morning and I was still at a 6. Dr. K came in shortly after (I think about 8:15) and broke Kyla's bag of water. He also ordered a low dose of Pitocin. The nurse started it at a level of 4 and I could feel the contractions picking up. I was doing OK with them and kept wondering when they'd start hurting more. I was in pain, but it wasn't like I remembered from previous labors. I was determined to do this unmedicated and as natural as possible and it was beginning to become a reality! I'm not sure when, but sometime the level of Pitocin was upped to 6 and that seemed to get things really moving. Niki had left the room to pump. Not long after she left, I was feeling lots more pressure. The nurse came and checked and I was an 8. The nurse didn't know when to take me to the OR. (Dr. K insisted on delivering in there "just in case".) I assured her it was time because I tend to go fast. Before I knew it, the urge to push was there. Niki had made it back and I was just glad everyone was there. The nurse kept telling me to pant and all I wanted to do was push. I was being rolled down the hall and into the OR. I remember the nurse checking me again once we were in the OR and telling me I was completely dilated. They helped me get onto the surgical table and that was the most uncomfortable place to deliver a baby (or two) ever! Dr. K came in and told me I could finally push. Kyla was a very easy delivery. She came out and Dr. K placed her on my belly. I looked at her and she was crying and I was so relieved. I wanted to hand her over to her mommy, but there were too many things and people between us. I vaguely remember Nathan cutting her cord and the nurses took her from me to be cleaned up. I kept trying to see Niki and Nathan's expressions, but it was hard with all the activity. Plus my job still wasn't done...

So I figured the second baby would be a breeze to deliver. He should've just slid down and popped right out, right? Ha!

I remember asking Dr. K if the next one was in position and I remember him answering that he was checking. About that time, I felt the bag of water break and an immense amount of pain. Dr. K had reached up to internally turn Lucas. I was screaming and Dr. K was yelling at me to gain some control. But yeah, there is no control for that. He had warned me before that he may have to do that, but he assured me it wouldn't hurt more than when he had to manually remove part of the placenta from my last delivery. (He lied. It hurt a LOT more!) Dr. K was having trouble getting Lucas to come head down. I had so many thoughts running through my head. I was screaming for him to stop, to just put me out, and to just take the baby. (I was ready for a c-section, if he needed to.) David was at the head of my bed and I had a hold of his t-shirt sleeves and was pulling as hard as I could. Although I was aware of my actions, I had no control over them. I heard Dr. K order the anesthesiologist to give me something and I just kept waiting to be put out or to pass out from the amount of pain I was in. But, before I knew it, there was another little baby laying on my belly. Dr. K had pulled him out feet first. Lucas wasn't crying and I was terrified. His eyes were open though and we just stared at each other. I think both of us were in shock and traumatized. I remember Dr. K telling the nurses to just take him, as he still wasn't crying. As soon as they were ready to give him some oxygen though, he let out a good healthy cry. I was so relieved....yet tired and ready to sleep...lol.

I know Niki came over to check on me after the deliveries, but I just wanted her to be with her babies. I felt so bad that they witnessed all that. While I know it was the best day of their lives and they were able to see their babies come into the world, I feel bad that it was so dramatic and scary for them. Niki and I had always been in agreement from day 1 that this would be an attempted unmedicated birth...and it was. We did it, but it wasn't quite as "peaceful" as we had hoped.

Well after the babies were born, I delivered the placenta and was rolled back to my room. Niki and Nathan went with their babies to the nurseries. Dr. K said he felt a pop when he was trying to get Lucas out and he suggested an orthopedist take a look at his arm. Unfortunately, Lucas' right humerus was broken. He was kept in NICU for awhile because of that and because his blood sugar was a bit low, but was released to be with his sister by that night.

Once I got back to my room, the drama didn't stop. The nurse kept pushing on my belly, trying to control the bleeding. But, apparently, it wasn't stopping. I begged her not to push anymore because the pain was too much. I just couldn't take anymore. I was done. Suddenly, there were tons of people back in the room and Dr. K was being called back. He was sure it was probably a piece of retained placenta. He suggested a suction D&C. The anesthesiologist came back to talk to me about the procedure. I wasn't too fond of the idea after all I had just been through, so I tried to come up with alternatives (like waiting until the following day...lol). Obviously, that wasn't an option. So I was wheeled back to the OR again...

I woke up over 2 hours later and felt the breathing tube being pulled from my mouth. I immediately asked for my husband and a nurse went to get him. I was told everything went well and everyone was fine. And for that, I was/am extremely grateful.

Honestly, I was "out of it" the rest of Monday and most of Tuesday. I remember having some visitors and I remember visiting with Niki, Nathan, and the babies. Dr. K monitored my levels and decided against giving me some blood. He ordered iron for me and I feel like I'm improving a little more each day. I was finally released from the hospital yesterday, as were the babies.

My feet, hands, legs, arms, face...just about everything...is very swollen. I have never seen my body retain fluid like this before. Usually, I pop a baby out and go right back to myself...but not this time. Honestly, the hardest part for me is not being able to be fully self-dependent...lol. After "taking it easy" for so long during the pregnancy, I was ready to be back to myself once they were born. Hopefully, it won't take too much longer!

Even knowing the way it all goes now, I would still do it all over again. This journey has not only brought two more beautiful babies into this world, but given me friendships that I probably would not have found otherwise.

Niki and Nathan, thank you for trusting me with your precious babies. Thank you for being more than just "intended parents" and thank you for sharing your babies with my family for 8 fabulous months. Thank you for letting us share this joy with you.

Kyla and Lucas, thank you for allowing me to finish my second semester of nursing school. Thank you for keeping me company daily for all those weeks and reminding me you were there with your hiccups, kicks, and turns. Thank you for continually reminding me that things happen on your terms and not mine...lol. Thank you, Kyla, for coming out so easy and thank you, Lucas, for letting me keep my rib. You are both precious and I am so happy I was the one able to help bring you into your parents' lives.


Nathan, LaDonna holding Lucas, and Niki holding Kyla





5 comments:

PrettyWoman said...

Congratulations to all of you!

Ivy said...

You did a wonderful job, LaDonna! I can't believe how BIG those babies were, you sure know how to grow 'em :-) I hope you get back to feeling normal soon!

TulipGarden said...

Holy smokes, they are big for twins! Good job to all of you involved. They are absolutely gorgeous and look so healthy. Congrats!

Cassi said...

Congrats all around, how amazing!

S.O.S. said...

CONGRATULATIONS! They are so beautiful. You sure "bake" adorable babies.

Are you planning to become a surrogate again? Maybe you can create a page where you can add pics of your first surro baby and the twins so it will be easier to follow updates.