Monday, June 8, 2009

The time is finally upon us...

Well we've had quite a weekend. Niki arrived Friday night to stay until her babies are born. On Saturday, I noticed I could breathe a little easier and Lucas didn't seem to be up in my rib as much. We were pretty sure the babies had dropped! Niki treated my girls and I to a pedicure. We all really enjoyed that (I had never had one before) and now all our toes look beautiful! Saturday evening, Niki and I went for a walk around the block. Contractions were picking up some. Mostly, I just had a horrible backache though. Niki and I decided to go ahead and go to L&D just to be safe. She called Nathan and he headed up as well. The nurse checked me and, lo and behold, I was already dilated to a 4! Nathan arrived before long and I was just so glad they were both here. Before I knew it, everyone else was here to join us too. After a few hours of no progress, I convinced my mom to take my kids back home (it was 2 am) and my dad, stepmom, and brother to head home. Nathan's mom, brother, and sister arrived from Texas a little later and ended up getting a hotel room. By morning, I was only dilated to a 6. We walked the hospital halls, trying to get the contractions to pick up...but no luck. Dr. K wasn't on call this weekend and the on call dr was not willing to attempt an unmedicated vaginal twin delivery. So poor Dr. K was waiting around at home on me to do something. He finally gave us the choice to either go home, get some rest and some food, and wait to see what happens. Or I could try some Pitocin. Well since I was exhausted and starving, and because I'd like to try to go natural as possible, we opted to go home. I felt bad because Nathan's mom and family headed home to Texas and I felt like I let everyone down. Once I got home, I ate and took quite a long nap. I even got in a shower! Then, Niki, Nathan, and I walked around the block a couple more times. Things hadn't seemed to change much, so Niki suggested I try pumping. (Nipple stimulation will bring on uterine contractions.) I tried pumping and the contractions were starting to hurt. (I was also getting colostrum!) We all headed back to the hospital. David's mom came and picked up my kids. The nurse came and checked and I was still only a 6. No change?!?! Ugh. Well since it was so late (after 9 pm), Dr. K suggested we all get a good night's rest and see what happens overnight. If nothing, we can try some Pitocin in the morning. Niki and Nathan were able to get their own room and David slept on the couch in my room. I had a rough night sleeping. The hospital beds just aren't comfy...especially for a twin pregnant belly. I woke up for good around 5:30 am and decided to brush my teeth and put on a little make up. (I'm sure the make up will be gone and/or smeared by the time the day is over, but I figured I'd look my best to at least start out the big day...lol.)

So, here it is a little after 6, and I'm wide awake. I'm very nervous about today. I know I've done this before, but not with two babies. I just keep praying that God keeps the three of us safe through all of this. Mostly, I just seem to be scared of the pain. If it's already taken me this long to get this far, how long will it take me to be complete and push them out? I am having quite a few contractions as I sit here, but nothing too severe. Maybe the nurse will come in to check me and I'll be an 8? Ha! I wish! Well I'm beginning to ramble, so I guess I'll wrap this up.

This will be the last post I write pregnant. This pregnancy has introduced me to many things. There have been some very difficult times and there have been many more joyous times. I don't regret any of it for one moment and would choose to do it all over again. Kyla and Lucas have kept me company for months now and it's finally time for them to meet their mommy and daddy. As ready as I am for them to be here, it's still hard to believe it's time for me to hand them over. Thanks for the journey, little ones! I will always have a special place for both of you in my heart. Today is the day you leave my womb to join your mommy and daddy and make them a family. They've waited for you long enough!

4 comments:

One of the Bunch said...

I am so anxious to hear how everything went. Please update when you're able. Blessings to all.
Becky (MI)

Ivy said...

I can't believe it's finally time for you to have the babies! I hope that you have a very easy & pain-free labor. Good luck to you!

PrettyWoman said...

Wow. Peace LaDonna!

Congrats!

TulipGarden said...

Anticipation! Are they here yet?