Thursday, October 9, 2008

Egg Retrieval

I'm laying here on the couch with a heating pad on my midsection in mucho pain. I till have another hour before I can take some more tylenol. :-(

At any rate, here's a summary of this morning:

We arrived at the ARTS department at 8:00 and waited in the waiting room for awhile. I think we were taken back pretty close to 8:15, but I didn't look at the time. I changed and the nurse came in to ask the laundry list of questions they always ask. That took a long time, since I have such an extensive medical history. At 9:10 the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me and hooked up my IV. The nurse said Dr. C would be coming downstairs so we could get started shortly... So we waited.... and waited... and waited. At 9:25 the nurse came in again and said that Dr. C had gotten delayed and would be down in a few minutes. Once again we waited... and waited... and waited (it's important to note that at this point, I was getting VERY annoyed and apprehensive). FINALLY at 10:00 Dr. C showed up and we immediately went to the OR and I was put into the stirrups. The anesthesiologist must have given me something in the IV because the next thing I know, I'm waking up in the room with Nathan (He didn't get to come into the OR with me, as much as he wanted to).

I was told they will be calling later with an updated count, but for now we know there are 20 eggs. We had told the nurse we only wanted to ICSI 10 of the eggs (after 10 the price goes up), but Dr. C called me and said he didn't think that was a good idea, so I gave in and said to go ahead and ICSI all of them. Hopefully it's worth it! I can't wait to find out tomorrow how many fertilize!

At first I was only slightly uncomfortable, but not in much pain. It has only been the last hour or so that I've started to feel actual pain. Hopefully that will subside soon. 

Thanks for the prayers everyone!

No comments: